To enroll children at a child care center in Leuven, you need to register your child via a central online registration system (www.kinderopvangleuven.be) which includes all day care centers in Leuven.
- Parents must first register themselves on the website www.kinderopvangleuven.be, after which they can prepare a preference list for the different locations which are searchable on the same website. The number of choices for this list is unlimited.
- After the preference list is made, parents can start the official process to request a place with kinderopvang. Necessary information will be asked during the different steps of the process.
- Making a request for child care:
- Choose in which type of setting you would like your child to be taken care of. An onthaalouder or onthaalmoeder (childminder) takes care of maximum 8 children in a home-setting. A kribbe or crèche (day care centers which can be either municipal or private) offers care for more children in a larger, specifically purposed, building
- If you choose an onthaalouder, every Thursday you will receive a list of vacant places, starting 9 months in advance
- If you choose a kribbe or crèche, you can choose 5day/week centers who, once they have received your application, will answer you by mail if they can help you
- You can also choose both options
- Choose how many days per week and which days you need child care.
- Requests are made in person at a service desk (for locations see https://www.kinderopvangleuven.be)
- For Tienen en Tielt-Winge, the request can now be made online at www.kinderopvanginmijnbuurt.be. Online requests may also be possible in other communities in the future as the digitalization process continues.
- The availability of places is limited. It is important to apply as quickly as possible, even when the child is not yet born.
- Day care can be provided until your child goes to school. This is between the age of 2.5 and 3 years old.
- To look for a place outside Leuven, you may directly contact the day care centers of your choice. An overview can be found on the website of the Flemish child welfare agency which helps children and families ‘Kind en Gezin’ (www.kindengezin.be/toepassingen/zoekopvang.jsp)
- A Belgian national number is required during the registration procedure. If you haven’t yet received this number, mail the required information to firstname.lastname@example.org. A profile will be created manually for you.
- If you need practical help for the registration of your child in the online registration tool, you can contact email@example.com.
Supplier, channels and tools
Parents who want to enroll their children (baby to toddler) in a day care (kinderopvang) center in Leuven.