How to choose a dentist?
This document describes how to find a dentist in Belgium (more specifically in Leuven) and what you need to know before choosing a dentist.
- To find a list of all dentists in your neighborhood, go to www.mijntandarts.be
- Outside office hours you can find the dentist on duty (‘van wacht’) via www.W8post.be
- Check first to see whether your chosen dentist is approved by your health insurance (some private practices might not be)
- Contact your insurer first in case major dental work (crowns, bridges) is required, as you might need the approval of the insurer first
- Go at least once a year to your dentist to qualify for reimbursement from your health insurance scheme (obligatory). If you don’t do this your own contribution will be up to 15% more expensive.
- Basic dental care (yearly check-ups, fillings, cleanings,) is included in the Belgian healthcare system. Patients can therefore claim partial reimbursements for basic treatments from their health insurance fund.
- For more advanced dental care, several health insurers offer additional insurances. Inquire about the terms and conditions of such insurances with your health insurance fund or insurance company if you are interested in such extra coverage.
- You pay the dentist first and then send the receipt/green payment certificate to your health insurance fund for reimbursement
- For children under 18, basic dental care is fully reimbursed by the health insurance fund.
- In the Belgian health care system there are agreements about the cost for health care. These agreements are made between health insurance funds and health care providers (doctors, dentists, physiologists…).
- Dentists can choose if they follow the agreement or not
- If they agree, they follow the convention (in Dutch ‘geconventioneerd’). In that case your own contribution (after reimbursement by the health insurance fund) is minimal.
- If they do not agree they have the possibility to charge extra fees (‘niet-geconventioneerd’)
- Several health insurance funds have an online tool to check whether a dentist follows the convention or not. The dentist can also inform you about this.