In Belgium waste is managed by selecting and recycling.
That raises a lot of questions when getting rid of your waste. Do empty plastic containers belong in your PMD bag? Do you need to remove the plastic wrapper from brochures and magazines before sorting? How is selective waste collection organised in Leuven? You will find the answers to all your sorting and waste management questions right here.
- Get information from the trash collection calendar: The trash collection calendars include the door-to-door waste collection dates. Ask your neighbour or your landlord.
- Discover how the different kinds of trash are collected, each in his own way. Some types of rubbish are collected at your house. But you can also dispose of it at collection points and container parks. (only in Dutch)
- Purchase specific bags for various types of unsorted waste, biodegradable, PMD, and soft plastics. What are these trash bags and what is their price?
- Get more information about biodegradable waste. This waste in the municipalities is collected in a GFT container. This container must have a valid sticker on it.
- To find out when PMD, glass or paper-cardboard are being collected in your municipality, please check the waste collection calendar for your municipality or inter-municipal company.
- The timing and frequency of collection is different in every municipality and can even differ in every street. You can also find more information on your municipality’s website or your inter-municipal company’s website. You can also ask your neighbour or landlord.
Suppliers, channels, interesting links and tools
Internationals living/working in the Leuven region, wanting to know how and when waste is collected.