Below you can find information about the opportunities that have been created in the Leuven region to practice your Dutch language in daily life. In addition, a lot of online tools also exist, so even if you are still in the phase of planning your move to Leuven, you can already start practicing Dutch.
- Search for practicing Dutch initiatives in your neighborhood. In Leuven, there are several conversation groups, pronunciation groups etc.: https://www.leuven.be/en/learn...
- Try to speak Dutch as much as possible in your daily life (in shops, restaurants, at work…) and ask people to speak Dutch with you.
- Search for activities in which you can practice your Dutch. The website ‘Nederlands oefenen in Vlaams-Brabant’ is a good starting point to get an overview of the different kinds of activities, both online and offline, you can undertake in the province of Flemish Brabant to practice your Dutch. Or scroll down for more !
Some online websites or tools are developed in the Netherlands. It might be that the pronunciation is somewhat different than what you hear in Flanders. Some expressions and words are also less frequently used, or have a slightly different meaning in Flanders than in the Netherlands and vice versa.
Suppliers, channels and tools
- A portal site with all kinds of activities and ideas to practice Dutch in the different provinces of Flanders.
- Practicing your Dutch speaking skills in Leuven
- The public library of Leuven supports people who want to practice Dutch in several ways. For more information, visit the library and inquire about the Taalpunt.
- Nedbox, an online tool to practice Dutch and learn about Belgium and Flanders at the same time.
- Leuven Dutch language meetup, an independently run private group for people wanting to meet up in a casual setting to practice Dutch.
- Collection of free online tools to practice Dutch: