Leuven is located in Flanders, the northern part of Belgium. The official language in this region is Dutch, or ‘Flemish’, the variety of Dutch spoken in Flanders. Both for work, administrative and social purposes, you might find it worthwhile to learn Dutch.
- Determine your language goals: which level of proficiency do you want to obtain and for which purposes (daily life conversations, teaching in Dutch in your professional jargon etc.)? The Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) is an international standard used to describe learners’ language goals and skills.
- Determine which type of classes suit you best: evening or daytime classes, a class with a once-a-week frequency or an intensive summer course, private teaching or in a classroom setting. The pace of learning is also different in the different language school networks. These are compared in a visual presentation (in Dutch).
- Determine your starting level. Most organizations offering Dutch language courses will be able to do a Dutch starting level test. There are also some governmental advisory agencies which can help you to determine your level of Dutch proficiency: e.g. the Federation of Integration (Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering).
- Look for a provider of Dutch language classes. Take a look at the list of suppliers below, or ask the ‘Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering’ to assist you with finding a Dutch language course adapted to your needs and wishes.
- Some companies offer in-house Dutch language courses to their international staff (and sometimes also to their partners). Inquire about such initiatives at your company.
- In Flanders, there is no standard obligation for Internationals to learn Dutch. However, for people wanting to teach at a Flemish university, university college, or for people wanting to enroll in a Dutch-taught study program, a certain level of Dutch language proficiency is required. For more information contact your university or university college.
Suppliers, channels and tools
- KU Leuven Language Institute
- CLT Centrum voor Levende Talen
- CVO (Centre for Adult Education) Volt
- Ligo (centre for basic education) Oost-Brabant
Need help finding an appropriate Dutch language course? Contact
Last update: 28/06/2022