Which finance and insurance services to stop when leaving Belgium
When leaving Belgium make sure to discontinue the financial and insurance services that are of no use to you anymore.
Your must inform your bank or insurance company in order to discontinue payments for a service that does not cover you anymore.
Contact your bank and/or insurer to inform them that you are leaving Belgium. Inform them of your future address and date of departure. Ask them which services need to be stopped given that you are leaving: direct debits for utilities, standing orders for the rent, car and travel insurance, etc.
- The bank or insurer will need you to fill out a few forms, although sometimes might be able to cancel the services directly online, inquire with your bank/insurer.
- Keep in mind that you may need your bank account to stay open in order to receive back a tax refund from the Belgian tax authorities.
- At some banks, you can keep many of your bank services when you move abroad. You simply need to inform them of your new legal address, plus fill in some forms in order for the bank to update your data in their database.
Supplier, channels and tools
Contact your bank or insurer with any specific questions.
Last update: 20/07/2022
- Internationals leaving Belgium
- HR of a company employing an international who will be leaving Belgium
- Relocator assisting the leaving international