In Belgium, children go to preschool from the age of 2.5 to 6 years, and to a primary school from 6 to 12 years. To enroll children in a regular preschool or primary school in Leuven, you must register your child in a central online registration system, which includes all schools in Leuven.
- Choosing a school is an important decision. So first get more information about the Belgian school system and about the local preschools and primary schools in Leuven, the International School of Leuven or other International schools in Belgium and schools for special needs in the region of Leuven.
- Find out more about how to enroll your child in a preschool or primary school in Leuven. You can find useful information on the registration website (only in Dutch) where you can download a brochure with all the necessary information in English.
- Visit the schools that you’re interested in: make a private appointment in the school(s) or visit the school(s) on one of the open schooldays which are organized each year in February/March. In the brochure you can find the exact dates of the open schooldays.
- Register your child using the online registration tool for at least 3 schools of your choice:
- Once registered, the available places will be allocated. You will receive an e-mail with the contact details of the school where you can enroll your child. Make an appointment with the school to enroll your child.
- From June onwards, if either you’ve missed the registration period, or you did not find a school yet for your child, you can enroll your child directly in the school of your choice. You can find an overview of the available of places per grade for all preschools and primary schools in Leuven on the registration website (in Dutch). You need to make an appointment with the school to enroll your child.
- If your child changes school during the schoolyear you can enroll your child directly in the school of your choice, if there are places available. You need to make an appointment with the school to enroll your child.
- The schoolyear in Belgium starts on September 1st and ends on June 30th . Here you can find more information about the school holidays in Belgium.
- A typical school day in Belgium starts around 8:30 am and finishes around 3:30 pm. There is no school on Wednesday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. Most of the local schools provide childcare before and after school hours. A lunch break is usually provided from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm. Most pupils stay in the school for lunch break and normally bring their own lunch. Some schools provide hot meals during lunch.
- In some preschools and primary schools in Leuven, the availability of places is limited. Therefore, it is important to register your child using the online registration tool. This tool allocates the available places in the schools.
- To make sure that you can enroll your child in a school of your choice, it is important to register your child for more than one school. The online registration tool will always try to allocate children in the school of their first choice, if possible.
- A Belgian national number is required during the registration procedure. If you haven’t got this number, mail the Education and Schools Office of the City of Leuven. A profile will be made manually for you.
- If you need practical help for the registration of your child in the online registration tool, you can contact one of the organizations on page 18 and 19 of the brochure.
- Children with special needs are assisted as much as possible in regular schools. To meet some children’s special needs, there are also schools for special needs education in and around Leuven. You can directly contact the schools for special needs education to enroll your child. In the brochure on page 14 you find more information about the schools for special needs education in and around Leuven.
- One of the biggest advantages of choosing a local school is immersion. Children will be immersed in the local language (Dutch) and culture. Several schools actively support children with learning Dutch therefore, children pick up Dutch rather quickly.
Supplier, channels and tools
Parents who want to enroll their children in a local preschool or primary school in Leuven.