Registering for a stay of more than 3 months - for work/study purposes (EU/EEA)

Belgian law requires all foreigners to register their long-term stay (i.e. of more than 90 days) at the town or city hall of the municipality where they reside, and to carry a residence permit valid during their stay. The information herebelow outlines the administrative steps required for registration at the Leuven Stadskantoor (City Office).

Upon registration, a national registration number (rijksregisternummer) is created.  It is a unique registration number based on your date of birth, which identifies you in your communication with Belgian authorities, such as the tax office, and is useful in daily life, for instance to register with your employer, Belgian health insurance schemes and Belgian banks.

Action steps

First visit of the Stadskantoor: registration

  • You are expected to report to the Stadskantoor within 90 days of your arrival in Belgium.
  • Make an appointment to come to the Stadskantoor for registration, either online or by phone.
  • Submit the following:
    • Your national passport and/or ID card
    • 1 recent passport-size photo (maximum 6 months old). The photo must comply with international specifications.  (There is a photo booth at the Stadskantoor. Children under the age of 3 must have their photo taken by a professional photographer)
    • The documents which are relevant for your particular registration, such as your work contract, university registration, proof of health insurance, birth/marriage certificate etc.
    • The lease contract of your permanent address in Leuven
  • The Stadskantoor will provide you with an “Annex 19”, a document which contains your national registration number.
  • If during the registration process you immediately submitted all the documents required for your stay, you will also receive a provisional residence permit ("Annex 8").  

Subsequent visits: application for and collection of residence permit

  • Following this first step in the registration process, the police will check whether you actually reside at the address you provided.  They have up to one month's time to do so.
  • Once the Stadskantoor has processed the police report, and on condition that you had already received a provisional “Annex 8”, it will invite you by post to make an appointment (online or by phone) to collect your permanent “Annex 8”. The invitation lists the required documents.

  • The “Annex 8” is a paper document.  At any time, you may exchange it for an electronic residence permit (with chip), upon payment of 18€.  About two-three weeks after the application, you will receive the PIN codes by post.  Subsequently, you may collect the electronic card at the Stadskantoor (A-counter), without having to make an appointment. 

Attention points

  • You must physically reside at your permanent address in Leuven before you can start the registration process.
  • EU/EEA nationals who do not reside in Leuven must register in the town or city hall of their municipality, and contact the latter for information regarding registration.
  • Some documents which have been issued abroad (e.g. civil status records, documents issued by a local authority, …) require a legalisation, as well as a Dutch translation by a sworn translator.
  • Though the official language at the Stadskantoor is Dutch and all documents provided by the city authorities are issued in Dutch, you may address staff in English or French.
  • If you submit some of the required documents within a three-month period after registration, you will only receive your “Annex 8” once your registration file is complete.
  • If you require your residence card urgently once your registration procedure is completed and approved, you have the option of paying a higher fee upon application, so that you will receive it after maximum three working days.  

Supplier, channels and tools


  • All EU/EEA nationals who intend to stay in Leuven for more than 90 days for the purpose of work or study, and who will reside at private lodgings during their stay (i.e. not in hotels and B&Bs).  
  • This procedure also applies to Swiss nationals.

More info

Contact us