“Kind en Gezin” (Child and Family) is a Flemish child welfare agency that guides parents (to be) from pregnancy until the child is 3 years of age.
The service aims to be preventative, is on a voluntary basis and is free of charge. Here you find more information about how you can make use of the services of Kind en Gezin, meant to preventive monitoring of the growth and development of young children.
- For every child born in Flanders, Kind en Gezin contacts the mother directly.
- If your child was not born in Flanders, register your child by calling the ‘Kind en gezin’-lijn: 078 150 100. After that, a nurse will contact you to make an appointment, depending of the age of your child.
The postnatal services of Kind en Gezin consist of:
- An introductory visit in the maternity clinic or at home
- House calls during the first weeks after birth
- A hearing test
- free consultations in a ‘consultatiebureau’/consultation office (For a period of 3 years, and up to 10 years of age) with a doctor or nurse:
- Weighing and measuring of baby and toddler
- Preventive medical examination by a physician, follow-up of growth and development
- Eye test at 12 and 24 months
During all visits and consultations, a lot of information and support is given. You will also receive a booklet where all the important information about your child is gathered.
Supplier, channels and tools
- Kind en Gezin